Initially, I was going to drive from FL to UT on my own. I felt deeply that I needed to do the trip solo. My mother had different ideas and used her powers of persuasion to join on the journey (i.e. guilt, the levels to which the Catholics can learn from); and so, “Thelma and Louise” hit the road for another great adventure.
- We had fun in Austin, TX, with my amazing friend Whit. Austin was 1 of 2 stops that this trip was planned around (Go to Black’s BBQ and Flat Track Coffee)
- We detoured to check out El Malpais National Monument (Conversation below)
- Mom “O look, a national monument in 30 miles” (I have a habit of wanting to stop at ALL the NPS stuff, so it was a legit question)
- Me (Road weary and moderately grouchy) “That’s nice”
- Mom “Here is an exit, do you want to get off?” – Me “No, just keep driving”
- Mom “Here is a second exit, you sure you don’t want to stop” – Me (big sigh) “Sure why not” – Fastest merge and exit ever
- Verdict: TOTALLY WORTH IT! (Mom for the win)
- Stopped at Cline’s Corner – which is basically in the middle of nowhere enroute to Santa Fe, NM. (A tourist trap the it one part creepy and one part kinda cool due to its history).
- We explored Santa Fe, NM. Visited the Loretto Chapel (Mom’s one request for the trip), stayed at El Rey Court, checked out the Meow Wolf immersive, co-creative experience, and ate good food.
- Went through Petrified Forest National Park
- Enjoyed the beauty of Lake Powell before cruising into Cedar City
- Spent some time getting acquainted with the new living location before the Madre flew back to FL via Vegas (Side note of irony: I despise Vegas, long story for another day – it is the closest major city and airport and I’ve been there more since moving here than I ever wanted to go ever again.)
Somewhere in the middle of the trip, feeling tired, nervous, and sentimental, I looked at my mom and said “I’m really glad you are here.” She looked back at me and said “Driving this alone would have been awful, huh?” #momentruined
She is, and always will be, my favorite road trip partner.